Marriage in Hollywood essay
The general concept of the contemporary Hollywood marriages.
What is contemporary Hollywood marriage like? How do Hollywood couples get married? In what way are the old school marriage traditions different from the modern Hollywood marital traditions?
The more the decision is weighted the bigger is the probability of a happy matrimony. Of course, there have always been exceptions; nevertheless marriage is definitely not something to joke with.
Marriage in Hollywood essay
Table of contents:
2. Contemporary Hollywood and marriage.
3. Hollywood couples get married.
4. Old school vs. modern marriage “traditions”.
Marriage has always been an “event” in the life of every single man not depending on his “roots” or “origins”. The decision to get married is one of those that require not only the emotional aspect of mutual feelings, which are supposed to exist, but also the ability to look around and see whether the choice is right. In other words marriage in all cultures is the start-point of a “new” life, full of care, love and devotion to the chosen person. It is something very private. The more the decision is weighted the bigger is the probability of a happy matrimony. Of course, there have always been exceptions; nevertheless marriage is definitely not something to joke with. And it is very hard not to agree that the most important base for a marriage is love.
2. Contemporary Hollywood and marriage.
What is marriage for Hollywood celebrities? Is love the driving force of getting married in Hollywood? Lately, the marriage “boom” has hit almost every adult representative of this “elite”. Countless marriages and divorces are seen here and there. They happen so quickly that sometimes it is even hard to follow the updates. The life of Hollywood celebrities remains much alike a soup opera plot with numerous romances and wedding ceremonies, which are followed by tragic breaking-ups and children with divorced parents. Of course, it does sound like a little exaggeration of the living situation. Nevertheless, it is hard to deny the changes that have happened in Hollywood celebrities’ personal life exposure for the last couple of decades. Everything is getting very public, including love relations. Marriage is exploited in Hollywood as a mean of getting enough publicity and receiving additional rating in the “list of starts”. Both of this “effects” generate popularity, which nowadays is more often gained by scandalous marriages then by talents. Hollywood stars: singers and actors are the idols of teenagers. In case of absence of proper parent-example, the last tend to imitate not only the celebrities’ clothes and haircuts but also behavior concerning important and it may be even said “spiritual” aspects, like marriage. So what example is Hollywood setting nowadays and is the marriage exploitation somehow useful for ordinary people?
3. Hollywood couples get married. Hollywood couples do get married. It is no surprise for anybody. The question that comes up is: ”How do they get married?”. To answer this question a man simply needs to analyze the recent “wedding-engagement” Hollywood news. For instance:
1. The 24-year-old famous heiress and “The Simple Life” star Paris Hilton is engaged to the 27-year-old “Greek shipping heir” Paris Latsis since the 29th of May 2005. Two young people being rich have made the most of their engagement. Paris has been offered to choose from fifteen engagement rings with the cost starting from $2 million dollars. The engagement seems to be an integration of two financial empires. It has made a lot of “noise” which is very “useful” for Paris and her future TV-projects. Imagination comes to a dead end trying to create images of Paris’s future wedding. Does not it sound more like a Paris Hilton’s campaign?
2. And what about Britney Spears? Her short marriage to her childhood friend, a 22-year-old Jason Alexander lasted only 55 hours according to BBC News . It was both unexpected for public and for Britney and Alexander, too. It was just a desire to “something wild, crazy” as Mr. Alexander stated for BBC. This short marriage is only one drop in the series of “Las Vegas Weddings” that constantly occur in Hollywood. Nowadays, Britney is married to Kevin Federline, her backup dancer, after a surprise wedding ceremony in a private home in California. USA Today states that it was her second marriage during one year, as she married and divorced Jason Alexander in January, met Kevin Federline in April, announced their engagement in June and married him October 2004. She is pregnant at the moment and after her marriage gets as much attention as she never has got before.
3. A 20-year-old Nicky Hilton, Paris’s younger sister. Has also been involved in a “Las Vegas wedding” ceremony with a 33-year-old Todd Andrew Meister . Todd Andrew Meister is a millionaire businessman. Nicky and him are known to have had “a year-long on-off relationship”. Their decision to get married was never set in stone or just in an engagement and seems to be one of the “crazy-wild” blasts of famous people.
4. Another example of a Hollywood marriage is Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey. This union is a union of two singers that have even dedicated their songs to each other on their wedding day. In spite of a “modest” wedding in Texas for 350 personas, Jessica managed to get profit from it by writing a book about her wedding: ”I Do: Achieving Your Dream Wedding” .
5. One of the quietest engagements is the engagement of 23 year-old Nicole Richie, Lionel’s Richie adopted daughter, and the DJ Adam Goldstein. Thought Nicole’s best friend Paris Hilton disapproved this union, Nicole seems to be very happy and her father liked Adams “traditionalism” concerning the engagement a lot – before announcing their engagement Adam or simply AD asked Lionel Richie for his daughter’s hand.
4. Old school vs. modern marriage “traditions”
The old school differs from how marriage is explicated in Hollywood now. And thought such popularity of weddings means that more people start living in legal marriages it also indicates that such “casual” marriages do not last long. So, why to have a wedding if the marriage may last only 55 hours? Contemporary Hollywood makes money out of something that used to be “holy” for every person. Of course being a celebrity equals exposure to public, nevertheless it is important to remember that a wedding or an engagement is not a “financial swindle”.
The old Hollywood did used even to hide the fact of marriages of its most popular people. People married once for a lifetime and it also was a weighed decision. It was not an act made in order to get attention. Hollywood stars did not want to be famous for their private life, but for their talents in the first place. Unfortunately, some values do change with time. But is marriage a value that should change? This is the primary question, which Hollywood should keep in mind before making a scandal of someone’s irresponsible wedding. Private life of Hollywood celebrities is the source of additional profit for the stars themselves. As these people are the representatives of the nation their behavior also represents the morality of the nation. Therefore the old school ways are more appropriate at least for the growing generation, which needs positive examples so desperately.
Turns out that the exploitation of marriage is not such an uncommon thing nowadays and Hollywood has especially succeeded in it. It has definitely made marriage more popular lately. But at the same time it has made light-mindedness popular, too. It propagandizes the simplicity of things that should not be made irresponsibly. The endless examples of engagements and weddings of famous people do not just support this supposition, but also convert it into something regular. Modern celebrities should not forget old school examples. They are to remember that they are setting examples for the whole country and marriage is not something to get profit of, except spiritual profit. Talents should be what Hollywood is famous for and not the private life of its celebrities. Marriage has to be real and not an act to get money or more publicity. Remember old good Hollywood. That is an example to follow!
“Paris and Latsis have been dating for about 8 months, and the romance reportedly began at a New York party. Latsis is heir to a reported $7.5 billion Greek shipping fortune”.
Britney’s lawyers filed for an annulment by the courts. “Plaintiff Spears lacked understanding of her actions to the extent that she was incapable of agreeing to the marriage," the annulment petition said.-
The wedding place at the Las Vegas Wedding Chapel, in the presence of her Simple Life star sister Paris and actress Bijou Phillips.-
It is a book about how you can have a glamorous celebrity-style wedding on a budget.